icon
Lucas Hokanson (Ciscogeek)
I've been getting concerned for Jon's own wellbeing lately... All I see is negativity... negativity... negativity... That shit will eat you alive as a singular human being. You have to be incredibly strong minded not to be brought down by that.

I'm fearing his own community has driven him away by acting like an angry mob with pitchforks chasing him out of all the facets of community contact he had.

First he was using the main website, but the comments got really nasty, and he stopped posting altogether.

Next, were the forums. Even attempts to be helpful would be interrupted by some misguded assholeish remark. He no longer posts there either.

Next were the Google Group, and G+ user groups. Both were doing well, in fact, that's where we got some really interesting details about the inner workings. But, again, negativity, rudeness, and misguided frustrations from others lashing out drove him from those last two bastions of communication. Now Jon has nowhere he can go, nobody he can talk to without getting some cheapshot to the ribs thrown at him. As a result of the community's actions, we're now totally in the dark.

I'd like to think he's decided to just shut this all out in lieu of pounding out the upgrade kit, but I'm really starting to worry about him and his heath as a result of this. I really think people should be considering this aspect.

Please don't fill this thread with "screw Makible", "boohoo", "Oh yeah, well, he should've' done this, and that, and then things would not be like this" It's in the past and dragging it on won't help.
Makibox A6 LT - FroZen Extruder - Assembled, but can only print ABS. Eagerly awaiting launch of Makibox Upgrade Package

Having Issues? Visit http://MakiWiki.com for information and help with the Makibox!
2021-06-01 14:19
robthebrew
As someone who also built their own company/product I can understand Jon's silence. When the company grows and you cannot do everything yourself, you need to rely on others to get the job done.
If they do not complete, it is still you who gets the flack.
That is very demoralising, but a part of being a CEO.
I do feel for Jon, but he needs to put procedures in place to deal with this. Like PR people etc.
2021-06-01 16:00
rhercher
Mmmmmm...

Nope. I cannot blame this on "community" "driving away" anyone. First, he made a broken product. It doesn't work. The $200 model can't do the one thing it is advertised to do. And it took 2 years for them to figure it out! Where was the testing? Where was the feed back? I won't fly to Hong Kong and punch him in the teeth, that's ridiculous, but I won't give him an "atta boy, Jonny! You'll do better next time, A for effort." He's a grown ass man and needs to act like it. "People are being mean to me on the internet" is not a valid excuse to take people's money and not deliver on a contract. And he is running a business, he needs to act like that, too. Maybe that's not for him.
2021-06-02 07:41
frank
Master of none
If your taking peoples money and say that your going to supply what's been paid for by a specific time and don't deliver and cant keep your word, then that person deserves to be called a fraud, shyster, con man.

No adjustment is made to show that anyone that is making a purchase will wait longer than what was first specified, this will create a liar of the person who made the promise, this is a main area that has never been adjusted, seeing as all who made orders wait longer than the specified wait time.
The specified time show is 6-10 or 2-2&half months, as some have said 11 months is closer to reality, I waited 5 months before I made a DEMAND of refund.

What should be posted as wait time is 6 to 12 MONTHS, as this is closer to reality than in any weeks wait time, that is if there areany printers at all that have been sent and not just a monkey typing in random numbers of sent printers that are shown to placate customers on not getting a thing other than breach of contract that was at the time of payment.
I will fix this,,
wheres the hammer, glue, screwdriver, hacksaw rivet gun masking tape pliers, bailing wire, drill, multimeter, university degree in rocket science, and a chicken sacrificed to a pagan god.
2021-06-02 15:43
vklaffehn
Well, strange thing is that Jon seems quite involved in th startup scene in HK, so it's even less understandable for me how he manages (or, at the moment, NOT manages) his own company makible....or what he is doing at BootHK, startupsHK or startbaseHK...

http://yourstory.com/2012/01/hong-kong-startup-series-jonathan-buford-cofounder-startupshk-makible-and-startup-hub-boothk/
http://www.startbase.hk/people/jon-buford
2021-06-03 22:55
rhercher
iconvklaffehn:
Well, strange thing is that Jon seems quite involved in th startup scene in HK, so it's even less understandable for me how he manages (or, at the moment, NOT manages) his own company makible....or what he is doing at BootHK, startupsHK or startbaseHK...

Oh come on, that was 2012, two and a half years ago, the guys entire world has collapsed since then. He went from being the startup inventor of the worlds cheapest 3d printer, to the man trying to ship a $200 PLA printer that can't actually print PLA, and has a hotend that dies after about 30 hours. Now, there's a lot to be learned from failure, and maybe he will look back at the smoking corpse of his dreams from 3 years ago and be a stronger business man, or realize that he's a crappy entrepreneur and should pursue a more complimentary life direction. THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. I couldn't start a business. Mind you, after a year of false starts, childish behavior, unrealistic estimates, I wouldn't trust him without obvious evidence of success, like next-day shipping of a product, not this 6-10 week nonsense that stretches on for 12 months. But I'd rent a documentary on the rise and fall of a successful Kickstarter that was all about Makibox.
2021-06-04 11:15
robthebrew
Just to lighten the topic a bit: I started my own brewery about 18 years ago. I got industry medals, and profits.
I sold it after 8 years because it was too much work for me doing pretty much everything alone.
I got an email from a friend last weekend: he had discovered a forgotten crate of my beer. He chilled and cracked one open.
Verdict amazing (17 year old beer!!!)
The label had a 6 month shelf life on it.

Totally irrelevant, but (to me at least) really heart warming.
2021-06-05 02:55
Matt Warrillow (warrmr)
Nice, was it better with age like a fine wine.

There are some interesting local microbrewery popping up around, these guys do a good pint http://www.whitworthbrewing.co.uk/ im a fan of the sobriety blonde beer by these guys. They used to brew in their garden shed but volume became to much and they now have a unit in Tamworth and supply some of the local pubs.

I have noticed even the Americans are jumping on the "Real Ale" thing these days and more microbrewers are popping up over there as well.
2021-06-06 00:20
robthebrew
The US had a major explosion in micro brewing (though not as micro as over here in the UK) from the 90s on. We were dead in the water then, but ten years later it started taking off.
Now it seems everyone's uncle is opening a brewery. I wish them well, but am not convinced of the financials. Not until the Big PubCos start paying decent prices anyway.
2021-06-06 02:58
ACG
iconrhercher:
Mmmmmm...

Nope. I cannot blame this on "community" "driving away" anyone. First, he made a broken product. It doesn't work. The $200 model can't do the one thing it is advertised to do. And it took 2 years for them to figure it out! Where was the testing? Where was the feed back? I won't fly to Hong Kong and punch him in the teeth, that's ridiculous, but I won't give him an "atta boy, Jonny! You'll do better next time, A for effort." He's a grown ass man and needs to act like it. "People are being mean to me on the internet" is not a valid excuse to take people's money and not deliver on a contract. And he is running a business, he needs to act like that, too. Maybe that's not for him.

I agree.
Ciscogeek would rather ignore obvious design flaws and instead call those who mentioning them spammers. Attacks the messenger.
2021-06-22 14:35
Lucas Hokanson (Ciscogeek)
iconACG:

Ciscogeek would rather ignore obvious design flaws and instead call those who mentioning them spammers.

I never disregarded or ignored the issues. They're already well established issues and are being worked on by both the community and Jon. I called you a spammer as you were legitimately copying and pasting the same message over and over into different threads. Which is spam.

But now I see that you have a personal vendetta against me for originally attempting to moderate a legitimate concern, so it's futile for me to even be responding to you, as no matter what is said, you will persist that your perspective is the only valid perspective here.

Might I suggest trying out meditation?
Makibox A6 LT - FroZen Extruder - Assembled, but can only print ABS. Eagerly awaiting launch of Makibox Upgrade Package

Having Issues? Visit http://MakiWiki.com for information and help with the Makibox!
2021-06-24 06:55
icon