Go to page 1Go to page 1123Go to page 3Go to page 3
robthebrew
Sorry Real Life intervened. Then I got side tracked by printing in-ear headset buds out of flexible Ninja (total failure - not sure why yet).
I'll print a cube and post soon.
2021-06-21 02:40
robthebrew
here you go

The dodgy bit at the bottom is me messing with the bed.
2021-06-21 03:51
Uli64
That cube looks better than almost everything I have seen so far. :thumbup:

About the flexible filament, I think that might be a difficult material for any bowden type extruder.
2021-06-21 04:00
robthebrew
If you check on the wiki I have successfully printed with ninjaflex - on a modified makibox.
2021-06-21 14:42
andybox
Thanks Rob - looks good.

Waiting for our couplers to arrive in a few weeks.

So we have a proof of concept so far with you and Honpo.

Anyone else who implements this, please put up a test cube so we can see how this fix works across various machines.
2021-06-21 19:05
robthebrew
Bear in mind that in the case of the Y axis screw, I had to straighten it. Be careful if you need to. They are not cheap.
2021-06-21 21:12
Citizen_Snips
Mine just got to New York I'm in Florida so I'm hoping I have them before too long. I'm really anxious to get them installed I'll for sure post some pictures once I get it installed on x,y,z axis.
2021-06-26 10:32
Citizen_Snips
Rob, How did you get the coupler off of the threaded rod? My new couplers should be here tomorrow so I was just wondering do I need to unscrew them or will they just pull right off?
Edit: Nevermind i just put the motors in a vice and pulled the screws out and they came out surprisingly easy same with taking the couplers off the motors.
2021-06-27 05:56
RoyT
Tech Addict
I put some text in the wiki at http://makiwiki.com/index.php/Drive_system

Feel free to expand/cleanup.

I've noticed that there's a lot of known improvements that can be made on the printer, but those with the knowledge don't seem to want to share in the wiki.

In my opinion, for long term structured access to info, the wiki beats the forum and g+.
2021-06-27 15:50
robthebrew
You are right Roy. I've been busy with a new job. Will add stuff this weekend.
2021-06-28 13:46
andybox
iconRoyT:
I put some text in the wiki at http://makiwiki.com/index.php/Drive_system

Feel free to expand/cleanup.

I've noticed that there's a lot of known improvements that can be made on the printer, but those with the knowledge don't seem to want to share in the wiki.

In my opinion, for long term structured access to info, the wiki beats the forum and g+.

Agreed - BUT - providing a link to the forum from the Wiki is very risky and cannot beat the forum, because all it is is a index. The relevant posts, crediting their authors,should be cut and pasted into the Wikipages.

If the lights go out on this forum, for whatever reason, you got nuthin' otherwise
2021-06-28 19:25
robthebrew
yup, never use a link in the wiki that you don't want to lose.
This forum is completely screwed at the moment, and near worthless for an actual owner.
2021-06-28 22:00
Citizen_Snips
I got my couplers in the mail a few days ago and so far they seem to be working very nicely. I had an issue with the x coupler sticking out to far causing the motor to not fit flush and that would cause the motor to kind of wobble when the screw was turning but I fixed that by flipping the screw around and using the other end in the coupler and that seemed to give me the tiny bit of clearance I needed to get it to fit perfectly. I had to grind down the screws as rob suggested but I guess I didn't grind them far enough because they ate a groove into the plexi but nothing too serious.

I had the anti z wobble thing on my box so I took that off and the wave appears to be almost completely gone with the coupler on the z motor. This is by far the best/cheapest upgrade you can do to your box. I haven't printed anything besides a few test cubes but they look way better than they use to.

Here is a picture of my latest test cube, I don't have one from before otherwise I'd do a side by side.
2021-07-01 05:32
robthebrew
did you need to file the plexi end stop sensor holders? (the little tabs "holding" the sensor boards).
I agree, it is the best/quickest upgrade you can make in terms of print quality.
2021-07-01 13:12
Citizen_Snips
Nope I didn't need to file the end stop holders. I didn't notice any friction there at all. Well actually now that I'm thinking about it when I first put it in there was a line of plastic dust completely around the coupler that was probably from it rubbing on the end stop sensor holder. That was when the coupler/motor wasn't fitting right though so it either shaved enough off or by fixing the motor issue it moved it away from the sensor just enough to not hit it anymore.
2021-07-01 14:12
Go to page 1Go to page 1123Go to page 3Go to page 3