Go to page 1Go to page 2123Go to page 4Go to page 3
o0aaron0o
Mine arrived today as well, My tracking number had expired and had no idea what was happening. I have assembled it now I'm trying to make it work. :)
2021-04-28 16:22
aboxpro
My printer just arrived yesterday after a very long wait and tracking numbers not working, spent the entire day setting it up and now it works really nicely :)
2021-05-01 18:47
Jack Wilkie (jack1197)
Impatient teenager
yay, now i have to wait for a new idler wheel, the one that came with it has just broken
2021-05-05 07:52
dparkernz
engineer
Well after very simple and fast assembly but rather longer tuning the little makibox is earning it's keep. Quite the bargain of the year all thing considered, I am real impressed. Time for some more tuning and probably a few mods, a small cooling fan would keep everything cooler though be a lot noisier. The makibox i totaly quiet compared to my other printers.
2021-05-28 18:55
robthebrew
Do give us a summary of what you found that worked for you.
Particularly any deviations from the "official" instructions etc. This is gold dust that needs adding to the wiki (makiwiki.com)
So happy you are up and running, but I suspect your experience helped you a lot.
2021-05-29 02:25
ShimmerNZ
iconrobthebrew:
Do give us a summary of what you found that worked for you.
Particularly any deviations from the "official" instructions etc. This is gold dust that needs adding to the wiki (makiwiki.com)
So happy you are up and running, but I suspect your experience helped you a lot.

Instructions I didn't find too bad to follow just take your time and don't jump ahead in the steps, in many cases there is a reason its done in the order it is though not immediately obvious.

Software: I found Reptier and Slic3r the easiest to work with
Hardware faults:
* the screw on the stepper motors for mine are not dead straight so they all wobble a small amount. Apparently within tolerance but can't help but feel it does impact on the quality of the print.
* hot end - from my observations one of two key design flaws in this printer. Mine failed within 15 mins of printing with it. Support offered to replace if I mailed the faulty item back but instead opted for going with the e3d v6 hot end which includes a fan as well. Much much better hot end. e3d even sell a hotend mount specifically for the makibox though currently only for the v5 (small modification required to fit the v6 - drill out a few mm off the top plate with a 16mm drill bit. v6 mount is available on thingiverse.
* idler wheel/Bowden. Mines still going strong but can see that the wheel is getting out of shape with the thin spokes it has. Everyone seems to be printing the FroZen replacement which I've done just in case.

Firmware update:
to use the e3d hot end I updated the firmware. This was straight forward but the instructions on the wiki didn't work for me. I'm using a 5D board and despite it suggesting I only needed to remove the jumper from the bootload pins and hit reset this did not work for me and the software would not connect to the device. For me I ended up having to go into Repetier and connect up and issue the suggested MCodes. I could then see that a device had been created but couldn't find a driver. I then manually pointed the driver update to the Flip directory and it found the driver and was relatively trouble free from there.

Printbed:
Issues with print not sticking. For the most part this turned out to about two things.... keeping the printbed clean (wipe down with nail polish remover every now and then) and getting the hotend level the right height. I had read that hairspray works.. which it did for one print then left a heck of a mess after that nothing would stick to so had to spend 15 mins cleaning that off.... don't go there. I also found bringing the printbed up to temp for a couple of mins before printing helped.

Removing the print - the method that works best for me is to wait for it to cool completely to remove the main print piece. The initial extrusion ring I find much easier to remove when the printbed is up to full temp so either pull that off straight after the print finishes or before the next one.

Great little printer and even with the failures it still feels like such value for money. New hotend is the order of the day though. I know Makibox has gone quiet but do hope others get the chance to get their hands on one.

Included a pic of this mornings print with the e3d v6 hotend with modified v5 mount. I found mounting the fan to the right kept it clear of the hotend (so it didn't melt onto it) while still allowing the hotend to travel all the way back to the home position without the fan hitting the sides.
2021-06-21 06:10
ShimmerNZ
printbed update.... covered mine in Scotch-Blue Painters tape for delicate surfaces which I picked up from Bunnings. worked brilliantly.
2021-06-30 17:01
o0aaron0o
iconShimmerNZ:
printbed update.... covered mine in Scotch-Blue Painters tape for delicate surfaces which I picked up from Bunnings. worked brilliantly.

I agree, Blue painters tape is awesome!
2021-06-30 20:00
Go to page 1Go to page 2123Go to page 4Go to page 3