Go to page 1Go to page 112345Go to page 3Go to page 5
coujin
Does anyone one know if any discussion pages or forums like theses for the rigidbot? would be quite interesting to see what people are saying about this printer.
2021-10-02 02:28
RoyT
Tech Addict
2021-10-02 02:51
picstart
Rigidbot looks to be flawed. The physics involved is basically deposition of molten plastic. Where to put it ,speed of deposition and temperature. Belts diminish the "where to put it" and require more frequent calibration and stretch slightly under tension from rapid acceleration. The open Rigidbot design will greatly impact quality as thermal convection will introduce variations. I'd predict Rigidbot owners will be closing in the sides and some of the top to get quality prints. Makibox seemed to know this from the get go and is mostly enclosed it also uses screws for positioning ( something almost every high priced CNC device uses). Software is also critical. Assume a pyramid is being printed. The base has the size to provide a certain thermal distribution of the deposition ; the apex very much less. This is a reason for melt through holes in the top of the head on say a print of Yoda. I have a feeling makibox will be a superior product.
2021-10-02 16:04
Jon Buford (jonbuford)
Lead Developer
I think with each design (or any design) there are tradeoffs. I wouldn't necessarily put it so black and white, each design will be good for certain things and not so much for others.
2021-10-02 17:03
fkahhaleh
It might be difficult to talk about the other printers Jon, but how would you define the purpose and goals of the MakiBox?
I mean what is it good for and what is it not good for (putting the obvious size limitations on the side)

Thanks
2021-10-03 00:05
Jon Buford (jonbuford)
Lead Developer
I think we probably have better ABS performance than most machines for the HT due to the hot bed. The other aspect would be speed to assemble and get up and running since other than the bed leveling, there is no calibration. There is still a learning curve, but we've simplified it a lot.
I look at it as a good value and compact. I think it travels well from my experience so far, and it takes up a reasonable amount of space on a desk or workbench.
We also left the design and chassis purposefully with modding potential. So, there are bosses and even a separate power supply for the Raspberry Pi that can be populated. The design is pretty good out of the box, but I expect that others will figure out how to improve it with specific upgrades that were outside the original design spec.
The other aspect is that I think it is a good platform to just learn about mechanisms and similar. Since it is more simple, I think it is perhaps more easy to learn how it works.
2021-10-03 01:03
jlogajan
The advertised price for the Rigidbot Big kit just went up about $95.
2021-10-03 10:11
RoyT
Tech Addict
Interesting, on the specs page http://www.inventapart.com/rigidbot_tech_info.php
the basic kit lists for $365, but when you go thru the ordering process, it lists $499?
2021-10-03 12:05
aceeeco
iconRoyT:
Interesting, on the specs page http://www.inventapart.com/rigidbot_tech_info.php
the basic kit lists for $365, but when you go thru the ordering process, it lists $499?

Even more interesting, I just went to check this out and the order link keeps 404'ing, maybe they had a problem with the ordering system and decided to pull it temporary.
2021-10-03 12:14
RoyT
Tech Addict
Use the order link on the right side of the page that has the PayPal logo under it. The order link at the bottom of the page is broke as you said.
2021-10-03 12:33
aceeeco
iconRoyT:
Use the order link on the right side of the page that has the PayPal logo under it. The order link at the bottom of the page is broke as you said.

I wasn't actually ordering just wanted to check out this price increase stated above. That link worked a few days ago when this thread popped up. I think the makibox will require less setup and maintenance. I also think that it will have better thermal performance being mostly enclosed. Also the rigidbot doesn't seem like it would be as rigid as they claim.

I ordered my makibox a few months ago, I was aware of the rigidbot (still on kickstarter at the time) and still decided the makibox was the better engineered solution for the price. Besides, I wanted a low cost 3d printer as a starter and i'm planning to upgrade in a couple of years to something with more capabilities. I might even upgrade to the next model of makibox if it meets my specs
2021-10-03 14:00
NarimaanV
It looks like the $499 kit price is final seeing as they've got images up comparing it to the Replicator at that price. Does anybody know what happened to make it $134 more expensive? It's not like they didn't make enough money in KickStarter to need to increase the price... :confused: :thumbdown:
Given Up on Waiting, Don't Care if it Comes Anymore :thumbdown:
2021-10-04 08:10
gsvanwinkle
iconNarimaanV:
It looks like the $499 kit price is final seeing as they've got images up comparing it to the Replicator at that price. Does anybody know what happened to make it $134 more expensive? It's not like they didn't make enough money in KickStarter to need to increase the price... :confused: :thumbdown:

It's likely the realities of production costs were greater than their original estimates. If the original design was re-engineered, say to add a heated bed, it could drive the costs up.
2021-10-04 13:14
NarimaanV
icongsvanwinkle:
iconNarimaanV:

It's likely the realities of production costs were greater than their original estimates. If the original design was re-engineered, say to add a heated bed, it could drive the costs up.

If the price increase did have something to do with the heated bed costing more (which is actually kind of ridiculous because they basically said then "Hey help us raise A MILLION DOLLARS so we can add a heated bed and make the printer over a hundred dollars more expensive whether you want us to or not), it would have been nice to offer a simpler package with just a plastic bed (*cough* Makibox LT vs HT *cough*) also for maybe a hundred bucks cheaper, if not the original $365 for those who only wanted to print using PLA and didn't care about heated beds :rolleyes:
Given Up on Waiting, Don't Care if it Comes Anymore :thumbdown:
2021-10-04 14:40
RoyT
Tech Addict
Maybe price increase only for new orders?
2021-10-05 02:48
Go to page 1Go to page 112345Go to page 3Go to page 5