Go to page 1Go to page 212345Go to page 4Go to page 5
gsvanwinkle
It's kind of like expecting gasoline to still sell for the 29 cents per gallon it cost when I was a kid. It's never gonna be that cheap again, so we might as well get over it and move on with our lives.
2021-10-05 08:41
stevenvalentine
Rigidbot just seems like such a "me too" pitch into the 3d printer market. The makibox for all it's faults with delays and such is at least a very unique design that does that offers allot in a small package. I feel as though the rigidbot is just another cheepo 3d printer but this time designed by a 3d printing company. It feels really uninspired and I wouldn't justify buying it.
2021-10-09 11:33
gsvanwinkle
Except it's not cheapo any more, price-wise. Add in domestic shipping, and the z-axis drive rod, and you're at $600.
2021-10-09 11:58
jlogajan
But it's large. (Sung in Olive Oyl voice.)
2021-10-09 13:34
timothy.boss
Enthusiast
"We went through many design iterations until we found a design we felt was clean, simple, and cost effective. Not to mention RIGID (WAY STRONG). With our injection molded corners you can build your RigidBot 3d Printer any size you need.
We built this printer for YOU! It is customizable and expandable to fit your individual prototyping needs."

This Printer is looking a little more desirable compared to the Makibox since its price is relative to the Makibox and it has a large print space. If one is concerned about controlled atmospheres then one could add plexi-glass to the exterior of the unit. Pretty neat product, and it will be shipping around the same time as the Makibox (December).
2021-10-09 20:57
stevenvalentine
icontimothy.boss:
"We went through many design iterations until we found a design we felt was clean, simple, and cost effective. Not to mention RIGID (WAY STRONG). With our injection molded corners you can build your RigidBot 3d Printer any size you need.
We built this printer for YOU! It is customizable and expandable to fit your individual prototyping needs."

This Printer is looking a little more desirable compared to the Makibox since its price is relative to the Makibox and it has a large print space. If one is concerned about controlled atmospheres then one could add plexi-glass to the exterior of the unit. Pretty neat product, and it will be shipping around the same time as the Makibox (December).

If you were looking for a large print bed for a higher cost then yes it's a good investment. The big plus I see with the makibox are that it's self contained which will hopefully make it reasonably portable and offers enough size for most things. If I were to invest any more into a printer I would instead invest into outsourced printing.
2021-10-09 23:31
Jon Buford (jonbuford)
Lead Developer
I've already traveled a bit with a few units and can say they are quite easy to transport.
2021-10-10 00:03
gsvanwinkle
icontimothy.boss:
With our injection molded corners you can build your RigidBot 3d Printer any size you need.

That's a more than a bit deceptive. Expanding the build space isn't simply a matter of replacing a couple of frame parts. The belts or threaded rods which move the X, Y, and Z don't magically expand to any new size. As you expand the build volume, you will increase the weight of many parts and may need to bump up the motors to something with more torque. In addition, the requirements for expanding the heated bed involve not only size, but power. It would be more honest to say "You can use our injection molded corners to redesign and build almost from scratch a new printer of a different size."

If you need/want the larger build size and are willing to pay about double the cost of the Makibox, then go for it. Just don't delude yourself that you're going to be able to expand it without VERY SIGNIFICANT costs.
2021-10-10 04:06
RoyT
Tech Addict
Oh, I dunno how this thing works exactly, but for belts, you could have some pulley arrangement and stuff rides on rails. The motor to pulley distance stays the same? Not that I'm defending this thing. Overall I agree you can't just magically expand the frame without side effects.
2021-10-10 04:38
jlogajan
icongsvanwinkle:
Just don't delude yourself that you're going to be able to expand it without VERY SIGNIFICANT costs.

I never really read it as meaning it was easily expandible after the fact. I figured they meant in the future you could order a custom size. In reality I think it is a non-factor. The standard and the big probably cover what anyone wants.
2021-10-10 09:54
jlogajan
icontimothy.boss:
it will be shipping around the same time as the Makibox (December).

We'll see about that. Some people are predicting delays of 2-3 months.
2021-10-10 09:56
timothy.boss
Enthusiast
The most interesting aspect of the purchase is that it would be customizable size wise. On the down fall printing a item too large is time consuming, its a lot of filiament and it's exposed to the environment which would cause poor print adhesion I'm sure. It's pretty cool to see other designs and compare them but it's hard to compete with the makibox because of the components used.
2021-10-10 11:58
Xorcutioner
iconjlogajan:
icontimothy.boss:
it will be shipping around the same time as the Makibox (December).

We'll see about that. Some people are predicting delays of 2-3 months.

As he said...around the same time then :P
"If we don't sell it - you don't need it"
2021-10-10 16:17
RoyT
Tech Addict
Now that was mean! Makibox ships Oct. 15, Rigidbot, who knows? From where he is now, I don't see Rigidbot making that Dec. date.
2021-10-11 01:12
Xorcutioner
Just a light hearted poke B)

I'm not bothering to immerse myself into the rigidbot project, from what some of you guys have posted about it, doesn't seem worth the effort.

Hope my box comes before the Xmas rush over in that corner of the world :thumbup:
"If we don't sell it - you don't need it"
2021-10-11 03:56
Go to page 1Go to page 212345Go to page 4Go to page 5