Cris Rowlands (CrisRowlands)
Designer
@Robin Bussell

I had a look whilst dismantling the hot end, it seemed to be a connection problem with the two cables that come out of the side of the hot end. I'm at work now though, so cant get a photo to better show what I mean.

@robthebrew

Sadly I don't have the equipment for doing checks like that :(
It's not something I really do.

As for my 2 hot ends; now that my current hot end has well & truly died, I think I'm gonna keep the spare.

I feel for you man, I've been lucky - my experience with support has been a much smoother ride.
When waiting for my box they were understanding & informative and when I needed spare parts, they have sent them out fairly quickly. That mess with the credits is just stupid though. Whilst I'm sure he has other important things to deal with, I'd say pester Jon about that as it just doesn't seem right.
It's not about being growing up,
it's about being strategically childish.
2022-03-26 19:22
Designer
Had an email from support saying they are actually out of hot ends (wat?) but should be getting some in this week, then my two will be sent out to me.

Fantastic.
2022-04-02 01:25
NarimaanV
iconCrisRowlands:
Had an email from support saying they are actually out of hot ends (wat?) but should be getting some in this week, then my two will be sent out to me.

Fantastic.

Probably because they keep breaking :P :P :P
Given Up on Waiting, Don't Care if it Comes Anymore :thumbdown:
2022-04-02 09:18
Designer
Yay.. my hot ends have finally been dispatched...
Now to wait for a week or so for them to traverse the planet.
2021-04-08 23:53
Designer
My hot ends have sort of arrived.
Despite having a 3d printer, about 3kg of filament & various other spares delivered without it, I'm having to pay a huge customs charge for my two hot ends. Not overly impressed, but I've paid it anyway as I want to get my MakiBox working again.

To this day, after a couple months of having it, I have only had two completed prints, both wonky cubes.

Genuinely considering botching together my own printer almost from scratch using Susan's electronics & motors.
2021-04-20 21:33
robthebrew
Chris, I feel your pain. And I have thought the same thing. Fundamentally I like the design, but the screws could have been 300mm so giving much more volume. The guide rods could have been 25 - 30 mm apart to allow for anti-=backlash couplers. The Frozen from PaulB should be default....,
But they are on a budget. Bit of a shame the budget doesn't include reliability or functionality.
You are way up north, otherwise I'd suggest a trip down to Maidenhead to see how I am getting on
2021-04-20 22:50
rhercher
Dumb question: when Hong Kong was a British colony prior to 1997, did the UK collect import charges then?
2021-04-20 23:00
robthebrew
good question! Though I guess individuals were not buying things from overseas like they do now on the web
2021-04-20 23:02
Designer
@robthebrew

The main reason I'd like to make my own is to increase the print volume, I'm imagining a taller machine.
Still, I've got a lot to learn before I can manage that. Just trying to figure out materials I can get easily at work.

Way up north makes me think of when I was at uni in York, I don't consider Worcestershire north, still, figure I'm north enough of Maidenhead for it to be a pain of a train journey (as I don't drive :'c ).

@ rhercher

I honestly have no idea, but doubt it would be reflected in todays transactions :(

Gosh, I cannot wait for my print heads.
It feels like it has been months since I last had Susan working.
2021-04-21 01:09
robthebrew
Chris, keep me updated. I am thinking along your lines. I've already been in touch with alibaba about screw threads.
my user name AT gmail.com
2021-04-21 03:11
Designer
The design I've come up with utilises the electronics, motors & generally the whole x&y axis assembly whilst using a different (very tall) frame & an entirely new z axis assembly. Whilst it may look kinda awkward, I designed the z axis as I have so I only need the motor I already have.

You can find the solidworks files & a couple of renders here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=808115FEC7D3C137!108286&authkey=!AJpEqaZ4wTXAqaY
2021-04-23 00:48
Designer
A question for anyone who's received a replacement hot end:
What exactly do they send you?

Do they include the plastic parts for attaching to the x&y axis?
How about the screws holding that assembly together?
Or is it the entire hot end assembly?
2021-04-23 01:47
Designer
Another point; I forgot to ever test the replacement zen wheel I was sent.

So today, I took the broken hot end off & put about 2 meters of blue PLA filament through the zen drive. I did it twice (to test how it was when the filament had ridges on from the first run) & varied the extrusion speed along the way.

I even went as far as to make it go back & forth repeatedly for about a minute,
extruding then retracting, as a stress test kinda thing.

Whilst the zen wheel itself didn't do much turning, the filament went through without any signs of stopping. Even after the second run, the ridges made by the gear were pretty uniform.

It's incredible what a difference can be made just by replacing one small part.
If you're having extrusion issues, get your wheel replaced.
2021-04-23 02:51
honpo
Slatye did the same test. It's a different situation after adding the hotend. Stress test like this exert not much force on the filament (pulling from the wheel, blocking from the hotend, etc.)
2021-04-23 09:41
Designer
I know, but I did a similar test with my old wheel without the extruder on, before I broke them both.
Even then it ended up jamming up & grinding up filament, so it's a welcome change.
2021-04-23 14:56