Cris Rowlands (CrisRowlands)
Designer
I got the very same email.
I checked my junk mail an hour or so later to find a dispatch email :)
It's not about being growing up,
it's about being strategically childish.
2021-05-28 04:45
Designer
Just turned up :D As you can see, I've not put it together yet (no point until the MakiBox mount parts arrive, which I ordered today)

Figured I'd show you all what comes in the box :)

2021-05-28 23:48
Designer
I've assembled it partly, but will leave the rest until I get the mount.
What I have realised is it came with the Bowden tube attachment from the V5, which of course isn't needed with the V6.

What I want to do is screw it into the top of a FroZen extruder.

I plan on editing the CAD model of the body & add a larger hole for the tube attachment to screw into.
Once that's made, I'll pay a friend of mine around here to print it for me.
The upshot is a FroZen extruder which you can detach the Bowden tube from, without dismantling the whole assembly.
2021-05-29 01:57
robthebrew
If you can, fix the print so the bowden can feed all the way through to just above the wheels. It is completely necessary for floppy filament like ninjaflex. You might as well make it future proof!
2021-05-29 02:06
Designer
Well, it ain't perfect, but I've made my own Bowden tube adapter compatible FroZen body.
It's a little bit simplified to make it slightly easier to print, I hope.

I've not been able to contact my friend yet, so I don't know when I'll be able to print/test it.
If anyone else is getting or has got a E3D V5/6 & wants to try this out, let me know how it goes :)

You can download it from my OneDrive here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=808115FEC7D3C137%21113903
There's also the Solidworks files for it & the original FroZen body part.
2021-05-29 20:56
Designer
Figured that whilst I wait for the new FroZen body being printed & the mount parts being sent out, I'd try to wire everything up. I followed the tutorial for the V5 I've linked to before & it's all gone surprisingly well.

Two red power cables from the board to one end of the heater.
Two black power cables from the board to the other end.
Thermistor attached to the green & black cables from the board.
Fan leaching power off the main power cables coming into the board.

I turned it on, connected to Repetier Host & ran PID AutoTune.
PID AT churns out some data to input & save.

It's now working :D
I pushed a little bit of filament through just to make sure.

Okay... it's not mounted yet, I need to re-level the bed, add something to make the Z-Stop activate at the right time, re-assemble the ZenDrive & attach the Bowden tube to both ends, but besides that, its working ;)
2021-06-01 07:30
Designer
Here's a photo of the pretty new toy itself:

Here's a photo of the horrible mess of cables I've made:

Whilst I'm not the world's most confident when it comes to soldering, I plan on tidying up those cables at some point & possibly adding in a button for the fan as it is permanently running whenever Susan has power.
2021-06-01 07:38
RoyT
Tech Addict
Cris, you hacker! Didn't know you had it in you. Good work.

Can you estimate yet how much z height you'll be giving up?

From holding it in your hand, it looks more compact than I thought. Maybe light too.

How about a side by side photo of v6 and Makible hot end? Pretty please.
2021-06-01 08:06
robthebrew
Right, first things first: you're up late.!
You need to trim down the heater wire (red) and replace it with more flexile wire (I trimmed to about 10cm length and added cable).
The red wire is too stiff IIMO.
Leave lots of excess wire, you can bundle it all together and route it separately to the bowden ( decreases strain on the extruder))
With this setup, yo can add a switch to turn the fan on and off: BUT, do not forget to turn the fan on. It is for this reason that my fan runs whenever the box is on.
2021-06-01 08:10
Designer
Great hacker I am, following instructions & botching some soldering ;)

As for Z height loss, I'd say about 15mm, but I cant be sure until I actually mount it properly.
The cables I'm less fussed about. I have no issue if they wound around the whole printer twice before reaching the hot end :P
Might just leave them well alone for now, then re-evaluate it once I've done a test print or two.

Held side by side inside Susan:

Side by side:

2021-06-01 18:06
robthebrew
Don't forget to add an extension bit to the Z-stop switch, or you will crash the head when homing.
2021-06-01 18:30
Designer
Damn.

Just got the new FroZen body I designed from my friend. He printed it well enough, but various bits don't line up right, the biggest being the filament wouldn't line up with the teeth on the gear. The only bit that worked as I planned was the hole for the Bowden tube adapter from the E3D V5.

What I really need is your average FroZen body, but an extra wide hole in the top for the adapter.
I would use the one Rob sent me (thanks again) but whilst experimenting, I made the hole too big so I cant use that one :(

Probably gonna ask my friend to make another FroZen body for me & then VERY CAREFULLY add the Bowden tube, possibly in the same way as in the tutorial here http://forum.e3d-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80&p=485#p466 where they just add a nut to the end of the Bowden tube.

Should have just done that. Stupid Cris.
2021-06-02 01:01
Designer
A few minutes ago I tried putting the FroZen drive (complete with new body) back together slightly differently (no back plate or screw from the lower part of the arm) and it works :D

It's not perfect, but it's not not working, so that's a step in the right direction.
Now I just need to wait on the E3D mount, then sort out the z-axis offset & level the bed.

Then it will be time for a test print o:
I might still try & get a new 'normal' FroZen body printed, just in case my new one doesn't hold up.
2021-06-02 01:56
robthebrew
I effing hate smartphones.
Anyway, for the third time:
drill out the FroZen and feed the bowden all the way to the wheels. Mark the bowden in the "hold" area with a sharpie.
Remove the bowden and score round the area of the mark to roughen it. Tightly wrap wire round that point.
Put the bowden back and fix it by gluing with (gloopy) saturated ABS juice.
By doing this you future proof yourself to using flexible filament.
2021-06-02 03:14
Designer
I may want to venture into the world of flexible materials eventually, but I have no intention of using it in the foreseeable future.
If I was ever to attempt using flexible stuff, it probably wouldn't be with a MakiBox, I can say that much.
Susan struggles to print ANYTHING let alone tricky materials.
2021-06-02 03:35