mike-s
The problem with that "jack" is the vertical Z movement won't be linear. Starts out fast and get slower and slower. Would take some tricky G-code to make it right.
2021-06-05 10:22
Matt Warrillow (warrmr)
iconCrisRowlands:
Well, that's disappointing.
The mount is quite loose, leaving the V6 to wobble around a lot :(

I found that because the printed mounts were for the V5 that they only fit on my V6 upside down and the hot end sits to low in them and has lots of wobble. What I ended up doing using a file and a grinding stone was to grind out around 1.5mm deep circular hold the diameter of the heatsink so it sits slightly inside of the mounting block and that has allowed me to fit them on the correct way.

You need to try and modify the plates so the hot end fits like this.

The hole I carved out is not centered so the hot end is at a slight angle but once I have tuned it I am planning on printing this mount also designed by MyMakibox he said it is untested but im sure it will work as he has modified the dimensions as per the cad drawings of the V6.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/mymaki-hotend-mount-for-e3d-v6-on-makibox
2021-06-05 16:29
Cris Rowlands (CrisRowlands)
Designer
@mike-s - Thank you for pointing that out. I was wondering why no-one has done something like that before.

I'm trying something out at the moment.

Figured I'd tinker with Susan as I have nothing planned tonight (or any other night tbh, but lets at least pretend I have a social life) and realised there is a small gap in there about 0.8mm or something like that. Turns out its about the same height as 3 business cards. I'm halfway through cutting up some business cards to jam into there in hope that it might hold the E3D V6 in place properly. I'm not worried about them heating up as when testing my V6, I was able to hold onto the heat sink (without the fan attached) whilst at 230 degrees C without feeling much warmth. That is one helluva effective heat dissipation technique.

I should probably have waited until after I've tried it out to post about it, but I have my laptop here as I'm cutting things up, so what the hell. Hello world.
It's not about being growing up,
it's about being strategically childish.
2021-06-06 02:37
Designer
Y'know the screw in the arm of the FroZen drive? The one at the lower end that you're supposed to add a spring to or something?
I don't have that screw in. When I got my friend to print my modified FroZen body I must have done the hole at the wrong angle so it wouldn't fit properly. I'm sat here typing one handed & holding the FroZen arm down with the other, because guess what folks? she's working! She's printing a test cube (and got further than she has in weeks). It's a little wonky & the filament slows right down if I don't hold the arm, but both those problems can probably be fixed. Wobble aside, the print is looking great so far. Photos will follow, I cant fetch my phone from the next room without letting go of the FroZen drive & risk messing up the print :P
2021-06-06 03:35
robthebrew
haha, advice from friend: bore out the hole in the main body to bigger than the screw. Bore out the arm holes to screw size.
That allows the screw to play in the hole (as it were) and loosen or tighten tension.
2021-06-06 04:36
Designer
I threw a wrench in the works to hold the arm down as I was being lazy.

Problem now is the hole I created for the V5's bowden adapter isn't sufficient to hold it in place.
Mid test print last night, it popped off & simply pushed the bowden tube upwards instead of forcing filament through it.

Luckily I have a couple more FroZen body's printed by my friend.
I might end up gluing the bowden tube in place if needs be.
2021-06-09 17:13
robthebrew
Screw a nut onto the tube then glue it in place with saturated abs glue. If you ever want to try flexible filament, now would be the time to drill a bit so you can extend the Bowden to right above the wheels. Keep everything in line while sets by feeding a 2mm drill bit through the frozen
2021-06-10 01:07
Designer
Video of her kinda printing! -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rorfAblno_8 :D
2021-06-10 01:07
suicidal.banana
Woo! :D
nice job :)
2021-06-10 21:00
Designer
My one piece of advice for anyone following my thread:

A little bit of lubricant goes a long way.

That's a lesson you can use in all aspects of life.
2021-06-11 01:25
robthebrew
haha,
add to that, use the right one! You don't want your gear melting in mid use.
(sorry couldn't resist)
2021-06-11 02:21
curious_aardvark
got a small aerosol can of lithium grease in the pound shop.

I'd just really really like something to use it on now :)
2021-06-11 02:52
Designer
We had a huuuge tub of lithium grease at work, but it was a dark colour. Still, I threw some of that all over the X & Y axis arms as the hot end mount was jamming whenever it tried moving quickly. After a failed print due to running out of filament & parts getting knocked out of place (need to add a brim when I try to attempt that again) I've finally got one to work :D

I present to you, Susan's first 100% complete & successful print:

iconNote:
I'm Batman.
2021-06-11 03:19
jbarnhardt
Congrats Batman! That looks great.

-John
2021-06-11 03:47
robthebrew
do you mean the hot end guide rods? Interesting.
Nice print!
2021-06-12 02:26